Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Definitely, Maybe



Just finished watching the the movie over dinner tonight. Nowadays life has gotten so busy that i have to watch movies over several sitting, mostly over meals. 

If i get any busier than this, i probably have to further multitask on the comfort of the toilet bowl. Haha. 

The movie was really good. The only regret i have while watching this movie was my company. 

Nesa is just too tall, too big, too dark, and too hairy. 

Anyway the movie is about a father trying to tell his inquisitive daughter about his life story before marriage, the many complicated relationships he had, and getting the daughter to guess who's her real mother in the story. The plot was great, and the acting brilliant. 

And i am sure you will grow to love Abigail Breslin. She's an absolute angel. A 12 year-old angel.



I don't know if it's my paternal instinct acting up, but i would really love to have a daughter like that. 

But... If only i can somehow skip the incessant crying baby and non-stop soiling diapers phase, and fast forward to the age where we can have sweet heart to heart talk. 

That's hardly possible. Let's forget about it for the time being. Whatever it is, I have got to pass my finals before i can have any such grand plans. 

Was thinking about whether it is possible to have a similar discussion with a 12 year old girl in Malaysia/Singapore, on the father's love life before she came into being, on his many stumbles and mistakes, shedding the macho father persona. 

I find it hard to conjure such a picture in a local setting. Anyway a 12 year old girl in Malaysia/Singapore would be too busy studying for their primary school final exams to be bothering about her father's love life. Kids nowadays are really having it bad. I never studied when i was 12. (I think, because i can't remember doing so. haha)

Anyway go watch it, you won't be disappointed. 

---

This part of the conversations somehow lingers very long in my mind. I guess it's insightful. 

WILLIAM: a fetching young intern just started a week ago.

APRIL: Great. Ask her out.

WILLIAM: I should, shouldn't I?
WILLIAM: I don't think I will. You see, I don't want a fling.
WILLIAM: I want the real deal.

APRIL: Forget about the real deal. You don't find it, it finds you.

WILLIAM: does that mean? I don't know what that means.

APRIL: It means that you get to a certain age and then you're ready.
APRIL: You know, you're ready for kids or a commitment or, you know...

WAITRESS: Sir.

APRIL: ...a mortgage.

WAITRESS: Table's ready. Okay.

WILLIAM: Thanks.

APRIL: You know what I mean?
APRIL: And the person that you're with then,they become the one.

WILLIAM: you're saying it's not who, but it's when.

APRIL: Exactly.

WILLIAM: Okay. All right.
WILLIAM: So there's never been a guy, ever, that made you think, this is it.
WILLIAM: This is him. This is the one.

APRIL: (hesitate) No.

WILLIAM: Okay, then why aren't you out there, you know, enjoying yourself?

APRIL: I am.

WILLIAM: You are?

APRIL: Yes. Right now I'm seeing this guy, Kevin.

WILLIAM: Kevin?

APRIL: Kevin.

WILLIAM: Who the hell's Kevin?

WILLIAM: Where did... How come you never, you know, mentioned anything about him?

APRIL: I'm mentioning him now.

No comments: